Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy 16th, Jurassic Park! Rex still looks real.

Today is the 16th anniversary of the day Jurassic Park came out in theatres. I just know this off the top of my head because it's like my favorite movie. Here's some other movies that share its birthday:

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and Grease 2 (1982) both turn 27 today. What a day for Spielberg! Not so much for whoever the fuck directed Grease 2.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) turns 23 today. Still the best thing Matthew Broderick's ever done. Like, with his life.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) turns 10 today. Maybe the biggest letdown I've ever experienced in a movie theatre.

And Garfield: The Movie (2004) turns 5. God, I'd make a line graph to show how I feel about these movies, but I don't think I could find a y-axis long enough.

Now, you'll notice these releases are well spaced out, because movies generally come out on Friday (Wednesday in the case of Ferris Bueller, but then, he was a truant). So you have to wait for the years when it falls on the just the right day of the week. And the next June 11th to do so will be... next year! I consider it a sacred day, if only because of Jurassic Park. So what theatrical releases will be etched into history a year from today? Currently slated for release on June 11, 2010 are:

Joe Carnahan's A-Team movie and a Karate Kid remake starring Jaden Smith.

Son of a bitch. When's the next Friday June 11th after that?

... 2021.

Maybe they'll have a Wednesday release in 2014.

No comments: